Suitability Test for Agriculture Assistants in Agricultural Dept. for appointment a Agricultural Officers.
Syllabus for the suitability test for Agricultural Assistants
1. Kind of soils found in different tracts of the state, crops suited to
them and how to increase the production in such soils. Effects of weather conditions on soils and crops.
2. Soil conservation – causes and types of soil erosion, extent of loss, common measures to check etc.
3. Acid, Alkali and water logged lands, method of reclamation.
4. Soil fertility – causes of depletion, maintenance of soil fertility.
5. Utilisation of cow-dung and cattle urine for manure.
6. Green manuring and its importance in the programme of increasing soil fertility. Important Green Manure crops and their suitability for different soils and climatic conditions.
7. Important chemical fertilizers-single, complete and mixed and their uses.
8. Methods and practices for conservation of soil moisture, system of irrigation etc.
9. Characteristics of good seed. Multiplication and distribution of improved seeds.
10. Food crops of Kerala and possibilities of increased production.
11. Cash crops of Kerala and the possibilities of increased production.
12. Development programmes of cash crops in the plan.
13. Major pests and diseases of important crops and their control.
14. Rubber Development Schemes in Kerala.
15. Soil Testing Service
16. Crop rotation, Principles and advantages. Important crop rotations.
17. Vegetable cultivation. Raising vegetable crops, raising of seeds of important vegetable crops. Important crops of Kerala.
18. Principles of laying out orchards-selection of site-Different systems of lay out, digging of pits and their filling – care and handling of plants
and planting- Method of Irrigation, manuring etc.
19. Causes of low yields in orchards and their remedies.
20. Vana Mahotsava- its significance, organization, arrangement for supplies and follow up.
21. Causes of spread of pests and diseases. Different methods of control :
(a) Cultural (b) Mechanical (c) Chemical (d) Biological
22. Important insecticides and fungicides and their uses. Preparation of Boudreaux Mixture of varying strength.
23. Crop planning for individual holdings of different sizes.
24. Corp planning for :
(a) Irrigated areas
(b) Non-irrigated areas excluding areas with low precipitation.
(c) Intensive farming
(d) Mixed farming
25. Importance of crop competitions, rules of crop competitions and how to organize them.
26. Major, medium and minor irrigation works with special emphasis on facilities provided by state for minor irrigation works.
27. Factors affecting returns from farming.
28. Role of marketing in agricultural production-warehousing corporation, state trading in food grains.
29. The package programme.30. Object of demonstrations, types of demonstrations, method of laying out demonstrations. Presentation of the results of demonstrations to the farmers and records to be maintained. Common defects noticed in demonstrations and how to avoid them.
31. Fundamentals of farm planning- suitable economic crop patterns for different regions.
32. Development of local manurial resources–scope-ways and means to increase the production advantages.
33. Co-operation in farming- co-operative farming, joint farming, cooperative credit, co-operative marketing etc.
34. Lemon grass and other essential oil plants – present cultivation, status in the world market- possibilities of improvement.
35. Pepper, Ginger and Cardamom
36. The main pulses of Kerala – the present programme in the state, its importance in increasing production-intensification of cultivation.
1. Extension Education process and its role in community development.
2. Assessing basic needs- Deciding on priorities.
3. Peoples participation in programme planning-ways and means of involving the people in the programme.
4. Community organization and its problems – extension work through groups.
5. Organizing and working with Village Institutions. Building up local leadership in youth clubs and their training.
Selection and training of leaders- Basic patterns of leaders, group relationship in a society.
8. Concept of welfare state – idea of planned economy, National Planning – Five Year Plans – first and second plans – Third Five Year Plan etc. objectives, priorities, resource etc.